A lifeboat station occupied the site from 1907 housing the Alice Rawson, the lifeboat for Watsons Bay from 1907 to 1946. The Pilot Station then followed in 1959 and became the home of Sydney’s Pilots, experienced navigators who boarded inbound ships to guide them safely into the harbour.
2008, the Pilots moved to Botany Bay and the Station closed its doors.
2011, Roads and Maritime Services (owners of the Station) commissioned a Conservation Management Plan to identify the Cultural Significance of the building. The report made recommendations, amongst which was a building designed specifically for marine education.
2012, The Boating Industry Association in partnership with the Maritime Management Centre at Transport for NSW proposed that the Pilot Station become a Boating Safety Education Centre.
The Watsons Bay Pilot Station is now leased from Roads and Maritime Services by the Boating Industry Association, as a Boating Safety and Education Centre.
To learn more about the Boating Industry Association
or Roads & Maritime Services